This post was inspired by a friend’s Instagram photo. She was holding a coffee mug that said, “World’s Okayest Mom” and the photo was captioned, “woke up early to make my son breakfast, he would only eat it off the floor. #worldsokayestmom”! I loved the honesty and humor in this photo.
I’ll be honest too, I wouldn’t exactly consider myself the World’s Greatest Mom, and you know what, I am okay with that. Turns out, there are plenty of other Mamas who feel the same way. One quick Google search of the term “World’s Okayest Mom” and you will stumble upon retailer after retailer selling mugs, tee shirts, bags etc. branded with this phrase. So, if you are anything like me and have beat yourself up for doing something you wish you hadn’t done, I am here to say let it go! If you are doing the best you can in a given moment, or if you are doing all you know how to do, you are doing OK (and that is okay). I say you need to let go of these ideals of perfection and just be yourself, just do what feels right and do your best! Let go of the idea that you need to be the greatest.
Continuing on with the honesty, I’ll publicly own up to some of my “okayest” moments this past week…
1. When discussing my son’s recent aversion to vegetables with a friend, I actually said “the only vegetables he will eat are avocados and tomatoes,” to which she quickly reminded me, those are actually fruits….#worldsokayestmom
2. Daniel Tiger and Mickey Mouse have become my live-in babysitters. If I need a shower, to send some emails, make a phone call, make dinner, or do anything at all, I can rely on my trusty sitters to keep my son perfectly entertained. He’s been getting too much screen time, and no, I do not feel guilty about that at all! #worldsokayestmom
3. I gave my son an M and M (okay 2) every time he “pee-peed” on the potty. Now the first thing he says when he sees a potty is, “chocolate!” #worldsokayestmom
4. I gave my son Advil before bed one night this week because he was fighting a cold and having a really tough time getting to sleep for a few nights. He didn’t have a fever, but I thought he needed a good night’s sleep (or maybe I needed one?) #worldsokayestmom
5. I dropped my son off at school, and as I was leaving I realized I forgot to bring a pacifier. I was already driving in the opposite direction, and I distinctly remembered bringing extras in the beginning of the school year. A huge part of me wanted to turn around, go home and bring one in for him, but I didn’t. Turns out he didn’t have any extras in his cubby, and he refused to nap that day without one. Two days later, I forgot his lunch and made the trip back and forth for him. #worldsokayestmom
6. We had 2 consecutive nights of birthday parties this weekend, which meant my son had two consecutive dinners comprised of pizza and cake. My Saturday night dinner consisted of tortilla chips, M and M’s and a vodka soda (okay 2). #worldsokayestmom
7. On Sunday, I was exhausted. I actually wished it was Monday and a school day! #worldsokayestmom
Originally published on 9/16/14