This month we are featuring Amy Poehler’s Smart Girls. Now before you get too excited- no, I am not nearly cool enough to know Amy Poehler or any one remotely close to her circle, but I do follow them on Facebook, so basically we’re friends. And here is why we here at Runitlikeamom love them.
- Their motto is “Change the world by being Yourself” – There is not a better mantra I could wish for my daughters to repeat. They are dedicated to “helping young people cultivate their authentic selves. We emphasize intelligence and imagination over “fitting in.” We celebrate curiosity over gossip. We are a place where people can truly be their weird and wonderful selves. We are funny first, and informative second, hosting the party you want to attend.” Honestly, what is there not to like about that?
- The ABCs of Smart Girls– If you use these poems and empowering posts as a framework to build your life like you use the alphabet as a framework to build your vocabulary, you will be well on your way to living a self-assured life. Whether you’re reading Amber Tamblyn’s “Adolescence” or “E is for Embarrassment” by Meredith Walker, you will feel like you are part of this family. As they say, “You are not alone. We are glad you’re here. You belong with us.“
- They fill your Facebook feed with positive, empowering stories- Here is a snippet of what they have posted recently:
Latest posts by Emily Perillo (see all)
- Thirty-Five Years Old and I Still Depend on my Mom for… - March 7, 2017
- Peace Out 2016 - December 15, 2016
- Remembering with Love - December 14, 2016