Think outside the box. Take the path less traveled. Work against the grain. Push outside your comfort zone. Sigh, “but I don’t wannaaaa”! It is after all, comfortable there. The past few months have been a whirlwind of transitions for me, it has been a while since my last post. We have recently moved and well, it sucks to pack and move a family of five. I’ll just leave that right there. Additionally, I took a leap of faith and decided to get a fitness certification in my soul mate workout PIYO with tremendous support from family and friends. That picture of me is the morning of certification day! I was crazy nervous and anxious. I thought I was going to fall or something. Today I want to talk about the comfort zone and why it is important for your health and wellness in both the positive and the negative aspects of our lives. For me, this step was mostly, in the end all in my head. I do think it is very important to honor thy self and at the same time know when to tell thy self in which direct in which to politely “f” off! It is a strange balancing act really. Now, I know you must be thinking, what in actual what is this chick talking about! Here are a few tips I can offer you that I learned over the last few months to talk a walk out of the comfort zone (CZ) and still stay on your true path.
- Know thy self: This may be the easiest tip. Understand what your comforts actually are. Places, people, food, slippers? The why is a whole different story; this is the actual work I read an article once that was titled “why are you so tired”. Basically it was about when we say, “I am so tired”, what is that really about. Are you really actually tired? Or is it something more. This step is about feeling your feelings and knowing what the comfort zone is. OK, check.
- Sooo now what….and why: But I like it here…it’s freakin comfortable!!! HELLO! Change takes movement. Nothing changes without progression. One step in front of the other. We have to actually do something. Today is a blue moon, did you know that; once in a blue moon is actually TODAY. This is a time to basically get your shit together now, harness the energy of the blue moon, and do it now! Check out this great article and you will see what I mean: http://www.elephantjournal.com/2015/07/unprecedented-blue-moon-in-aquarius-now-or-never/ I like to say honor your “why”, because it’s yours and yours alone. You don’t have to share, or do, hey whatevs, but know what it is. This is critical for movement in and out of the CZ.
- It can be scary….ok it is actually scary: This tip doesn’t need a lot of explaining, but I can say this much – fear keeps you stagnant, keeps you embedded, trapped. Here is another fabulous motivational video: https://www.facebook.com/erin.murray.186/videos/vb.506981657/10152852129596658/?type=2&theater You are welcome.
- Get up and then fall again: “I dare you to fail” Eric Thomas, the Hip Hop Preacher. If you are not familiar with him, I strongly encourage you to get in the know! He is amazing and very inspiring. Failing is part of the process and sometimes it needs to happen, it’s called growth! Imagine if we embraced failure like we embrace successes? (See a previous post of mine) Here is another favorite quote from Thomas, “ a setback is a setup for comeback”, whattttttt??!!!! Drop the mic! Find what you love. It takes courage to act and start over again.
- Know your limits: Here is tricky part. Knowing when to say when. We are human beings and we all have a threshold. Go back to your “why” and start the process again. This part in the steps may include, amazing linens, awesome food and some Netflix bingeing. Note: do not stay in this step for long otherwise you may start to meld into the walls, you know what I mean. Know thy self! Here is also a critical time to have your supports in order.
- Brush your shoulders off: One foot in front of the other and just do it. Hello, Nike and Jay-Z do know what they are talking about. You GOT THIS, you can do this. There is no magic formula, pill or “way”. It is just doing the work, putting in the time and getting the shit done. For you, whatever that translate to.
Becoming a PIYO instructor was something I never thought of nonetheless thought I could ever actually do. Another key aspect to keep in mind is to remember who your supports are; mine are who I like to call the great triad. The hubbs, my BFF 4L (for life) and my Work Wife (WW) soul mate sistah; everyone should have a strong support system. I can’t say enough about what these people mean to me; it would take up my word limit. Family, friends, your people! These people kept me going and encourage me on a path that kept me grounded, helped me keep it simple and keep it moving and that basically, “I got this”. I am grateful for all the wonderful support systems in my life and my people who keep me moving forward.
Here are some inspirational quotes my WW, Karen sent me ALL DAY during my PIYO certification training; these are some of my favorites. I love her so much for always inspiring me to be my true authentic me. I truly value her words, friendship and the little things she does (I have these quotes on my phone and look at them, daily, especially that last one):
This is my BFF, 4L, PIC Lisa (partner in crime), coach, inspiration to get my PIYO certified, my Master Trainer. She is all things fabulous and also inspires me to be the best I can be every day of this crazy life. I adore her more than she knows.
And the Hubbs, Gregory, locking up the triad; he would support me if I wanted to open up a lemonade stand and sell bagels. He is my barometer, because I change like the weather. He is all kinds amazing, and I love him more every second.
I hope some of these tips help when you think about your own comfort zones. Whatever it may be; a job, starting a new fitness routine, food plan, relationships, family, etc. You can apply these steps and tips to all the different aspects of your everyday life. Life is messy and freakin hard, but it is glorious and wonderful too. Embrace it. Honor it and just let do you!
Learn, Love and Live
Latest posts by Kenna Grant (see all)
- Super Foods for your Super Body that you can Super Afford! - July 19, 2016
- And when you’re in a slump…un-slumpling yourself is not easily done - May 13, 2016
- Let the Sunshine! - April 15, 2016