Just a couple of weeks (fingers crossed!) until baby #2 arrives, and I thought I’d share some random thoughts as I wind down on my non-taking-care-of-a-newborn responsibilities.
First, a big WTF shoutout to the guy at Stop & Shop today, staring at cans of cat food at the end of an aisle while his cart was directly behind him and thus blocking the way into or out of the aisle, who refused to move or be swayed from his apparently mind-numbing decision on cat food to get out of the effing way when this very obviously nine-month pregnant lady stood nearly behind him and said “Excuse me.” Grocery shopping would not be nearly as awful if self-absorbed people just used PeaPod instead of going to the actual store.
Ok, blood pressure back to normal. Some things I’m happy about:
- His room is 90% ready, by which I mean decorated. Woot woot! I am quite impressed with myself and am also quite certain that if I posted pictures of his room, it would break Pinterest. Haha – well, maybe that’s a little overboard. But somewhere down the line, I will be posting about how his room came out and how to use Pinterest as a weapon of good and not evil. And spoiler alert: check out Runitlikeamom on Pinterest! We’re verified!
- My work office has never been cleaner. If you ever feel overwhelmed by the amount of work and papers piling up in your office, plan an extended leave. My efforts were 40% scared that I would have to leave unexpectedly and someone would find the random nonsense in my drawers, 30% nesting instinct, and 30% need to get stuff taken care of before I leave.
- I haven’t gained a ton of weight. Thanks to nausea in the first few months and a stomach bug shortly thereafter, I lost weight at the beginning of this pregnancy, resulting in very minimal net weight gain. Here’s hoping for a pleasant fall and lovely walks outside to manage my health without a little human growing inside of me.
And some things I’m nervous about:
- Taking care of infants is not something innate to me. I haven’t yet picked up a book or hospital publication from the first time around to refresh my memory, and I’m a little nervous about taking care of this little guy. Any quick tips in the comments would be appreciated. Also, any awesome baby apps anyone has used in the last year that you would recommend would be great, too.
- The entire house is not yet organized. AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
- I have a ton of outside obligations to finish before this kid arrives. By a ton, I guess I mean just one. I have one major project outside of my 9-5 job and outside of my part-time piano teaching gig and outside of blogging that needs to be completed ASAP. But I’ve been prioritizing making birch trees out of contact paper for the nursery over this project…. Again, AAAAHHHHH.
- We haven’t exactly decided on a name yet and this time around our name conversations have not gone well. Our 2-year-old is not helping either, as every time we ask him about “little brother’s” name, he says he wants to call him “Sister.” Do they let you leave the hospital without a name these days?
Well, anyways, that’s just a little peek inside the insanity going through my brain in these last few weeks. How did you calm down before the big event?