Over the past few years, I have looked for as many buffalo/blue cheese recipes as possible because I love that flavor combination. I am so excited because I think I figured out a healthy and delicious way to grill up buffalo chicken burgers with all of the fixings within the burger. This recipe was so easy to throw together on a weeknight too.
Ingredients (makes 8 servings)
- Non-stick Grill Spray
- 2 pounds of 99% lean ground chicken breast
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup of whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup of finely chopped onions
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped celery
- 3/4 cup of shredded carrots
- 1 cup of finely reduced-fat crumbled blue cheese
- 1/4 cup of Red Hot Buffalo Wing Sauce (or more to taste)
- Kosher Salt
- Whole wheat 100-calorie English Muffin (if low carb, use lettuce wraps or Portobello mushrooms)
- Tomato slices
- Buffalo Wing Sauce
- Ketchup (optional)
- 1/2 tablespoon low-fat blue cheese dressing or mayo (optional)
- Any vegetable burger topping you like (cucumber, sprouts, bell peppers, etc.)
- Spray cold grill with nonstick grilling spray. (This will prevent the burgers from sticking.)
- Pre-heat up the grill on high heat.
- In a large bowl, mix together the ground chicken, egg, breadcrumbs, onions, celery, carrots, blue cheese, and buffalo wing sauce. If the meat mixture is too wet, add a little more breadcrumbs until the mixture becomes more firm.
- Form meat mixture into 8 burgers. Sprinkle the burgers with kosher salt.
- Turn heat down to a medium heat and grill the burgers for about 5 minutes on each side or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. The cooking time may vary depending on how thick the burgers are.
- While the burgers are grilling, toast your English Muffin.
- After burgers are done, assemble your sandwich. I used a smear of mayo on one half of the English muffin; ketchup; a splash of wing sauce, kale, and tomato. When you make your buffalo chicken burger, feel free to have it your way! That is the best thing about grilling at home!
We were so pleasantly surprised about how juicy these burgers were, especially because we used 99% lean ground chicken. We believe the burgers did not dry out because we incorporated the cheese, diced vegetables, and sauce into the meat mixture. I am so excited these burgers came out so good. We were going to make buffalo chicken pizza with the leftovers but we could not stop eating them as burgers. I hope you enjoy them as much as we did! 🙂
Each 4-oz burger (naked) is about 215 calories and 5 grams of fat.
If you make ten 3-oz burgers, each about 175 calories and 4 grams of fat.