This post is to all those in-the-closet soccer players out there. You know who you are. Tucked back, way back in the corner of your closet is a set of cleats that you have kept for 2, no wait…5 years now! Every once in a while your hand grazes over the leather stitching and you pick up a boot. Your heart sinks a little as you think to yourself that one day you’ll get back out there and knock the ball around…but then, the cleat goes back into the shadows.
I have been there, my friends. I played out this scene many times, until I finally decided to Run it like a soccer mom in town, and the response I received was a positive one.
It was slow going, at first, but once the word got around I saw many more people (all different skill levels) pull out their dusty cleats from the closets to come out and play!
Some super-fun things that happened during the season were…warning, some material may be over your head due to inside jokes. If you want to learn more, JOIN US!
So, this year the bat signal is being placed high in the sky to, once again, alert the secret society of soccer playing adults for a once-a-week scrimmage, for the summer! The rules of soccer pick-up, are simple:
1. No encroachment. No one is looking to get hurt. The team did a great job staying safe and hurt-free, so be mindful of your teammates when you are going for the ball.
2. Respect each other and play fair. Healthy competition is encouraged but know your limits and be aware of other people’s, too.
3. To encourage more fitness into the evening, we have a rule to complete 10 sit-ups or push-ups when you miss a goal. If you are a goalie and let the ball go behind the net, the same rule applies to you. Sit-ups and push-ups not your thing? Then, try some jumping jacks or burpies!
4. Respect the field. Make sure to keep the fields clean and brought back to the way it was before we started playing (if you are moving equipment).
5. Smile, you are playing soccer! The big rule, here, is to have fun. Lots of laughs and good times were had last year on the field, so let’s keep that going.
This past Monday was supposed to be the first official day to start things up but the rain Gods had better plans, so I made the rain date for this evening! Now the question is…where are my soccer players at?
Disclaimer: Do not use photos without permission. No solicitation going on here, folks. It’s just me and my thoughts. Thanks for reading!
Latest posts by Robin Fecso (see all)
- To The Students Of The First Class I Had Ever Taught - May 17, 2017
- Mom Crazy: The Trail Blazing Sequel - April 19, 2017
- Until I Get To Hold You In My Arms Again - March 22, 2017