I think every pregnant (and hormonal) woman has the right to write a blog post like this. I have read a few of these types of posts in the past – each listing the usual comments like, “you’re about to pop”, but recently I have had some pretty crazy (and annoying) comments made about the way I look, and so, I had to share. Here’s my list of things one should never say to a pregnant woman.
1. “Damn, you are working out? I thought being pregnant was an excuse to get fat. Why are you here?” – Some random dude at the gym. I actually took my headphones out to hear him make this comment…wtf! If you do see a pregnant woman in the gym, I suggest saying nothing, otherwise a simple compliment is all that is needed.
2. “Wow, any day now” – Random lady at the grocery store (and actually most people who I see these days). No, no, not any day now. I have 6 more weeks to go, that’s 42 days, but who’s counting! You should see the look on their faces when I say I have 6 more weeks…ha!
3. “Don’t go having that baby here in the store, I would not know what to do!” – Grocery bagger on that same shopping trip. Trust me, if I were to spontaneously go into labor, I would not be asking for your assistance. Lastly, as I said above, I have 6 more weeks to go, so no worries!
4. “Your butt has really grown this pregnancy.” My poor husband did not say this in a mean way, he actually would like it if I had a bigger butt. However, telling me my butt has really grown does not make me feel attractive. As if I don’t feel huge enough in the front, now I feel like I look huge from the back too?
5. “That is going to be a big baby!” – Random person at the mall. Really, you think so? I am glad you are able to tell the weight of my baby just by looking at me. However, I have gestational diabetes, which means I have to constantly monitor the growth of my baby. A “big baby” is a BIG fear of mine, thankfully, we are right on target for growth! No BIG baby here.
6. “Don’t lift that!” – The staff at my old condo building were always really sweet, and I know they were trying to help; however, I am not weak because I am pregnant. I have a 30 pound toddler at home, I could certainly lift a package and carry it to my unit. No, really, they did not need to call security and have them assist me with the packages.
7. “You look so cute” – A mom at a local kid’s event. I know she was complimenting me, but as a 33 year old woman I really do not want to be called cute anymore. My son is cute, puppies are cute, big pregnant women are not so cute…but thank you.
Here are some things you SHOULD say to a pregnant woman.
1. You look great
2. You are all baby
3. Don’t assume you know the answer, ask the due date
4. Don’t make a guess about the gender, ask what she is having
5. A simple congratulations is always welcome