We have a new five-year old in our house.
In case you didn’t know, turning five is a big deal!
When I asked my newly minted five-year old what was so exciting about turning five, she laid it out, quite simply:
– A big kid!
– A lot more braver!
– NOT a preschooler!
– Buying bigger toys!
When I stopped to reflect on our ‘big sister, little sister, right in the middle sister’, turning five, I realized how badly I want time to slow down. It made me nostalgic for the fours. I will miss the preschool innocence, the excitement of looking up to big kids, and experiencing new things. While there will always be bigger kids to admire and new adventures to embark on, my middle baby has left preschool in the dust. While I reflect on saying good-bye to the fours, I must admit, there are some pretty “high-five” worthy things about being five!
Take for instance…
-Buckling your own booster seat! (Major awesomeness here…I swear it saves me fifteen minutes a day!)
– Tying your own shoes! (Mommy win!)
– So long night-time pull-ups! (Money in the bank!)
– Putting herself to sleep (soup to nuts…changing into PJs, brushing her teeth, tucking herself in and…reading her own sight word books! As much as I love spending quality bedtime with my girls, on busy evenings, this new independence is an amazing gift to our whole family…way to rock it girl!)
So come on…give it up! High five for turning five!
Latest posts by vtnative (see all)
- A Letter to my Middle Daughter, who is Exactly Like her Father - May 1, 2017
- True Story…I am the Worst Ever! - April 3, 2017
- On Raising Strong Women - March 9, 2017