In honor of this being my 50th blog post for Runitlikeamom, I reflected on how being part of this community improved many aspects of my life. Here is my list so far:
- I am still running. This past summer, I made a conscious decision to take a break from running. After 6 weeks of doing other kinds of workouts, Sarah and Patty convinced me to join the Runitlikeamom Relay team for the Hartford Marathon. With 3 solid weeks of training time, I completed 3 short treadmill runs during the week with one longer run on the weekends. The process of training for this race was so profound, I am now making sure I complete at least 1 three-mile run per week.
- This experience made me very appreciate of my family. They give me unconditional love and support every day. I am so blessed to have them as my # 1 cheering section!
- My cooking went to the next level. I am always on the lookout for new ingredients, recipes, and healthy cooking methods. When I discover a delicious meal, not only does my family enjoy the benefit of it, but I can share it with our community.
- I have a healthy outlet to express my feelings. The process of writing a weekly blog about how I runit in my life, forces me to think about the reasons which led me to becoming over 240 pounds at my heaviest. I spent a lot of time crying at the computer typing about experiences and feelings I would never publish for the world to see. My point is, the act of putting my feelings on paper helped me let go of much of the accumulated self-doubt, lack of confidence, jealousy of others, and anger over issues I had no control over.
- I am part of a sisterhood. It has been a great experience getting to know the other bloggers by reading their posts, sharing our workouts with one another, and experiencing races and celebrations together. Whenever I needed advice or support about running, motherhood, or work; they gave it to me. Thank you, everyone. It means more than you know.
Photo credit: CTnow.com
- I am wasting less time on social media. Now, if I am on the computer, it is usually blog related.
- I will hopefully inspire other moms to start moving because I am on a mission to send the message, “If I can do it, anyone can!” Even my husband joined me and he did it too!
2014 (Size 8!)
I have so much gratitude for Runitlikeamom and for everyone who reads my blog! I look forward to how I am going to grow as a person, wife, mom, and runner in the next year. I feel so blessed our community is here so we can all have cheering sections, heroines, and heroes to support and inspire us as we “runit” through the course called life.
Photos may not be used without permission