Moms have busy lives. We are constantly in the throes of organizing, rushing, cleaning, and caring for our loved ones. Here are six signs you need to slow down and give yourself a Mommy time-out:
1. After returning from a hellish trip to the grocery store with your three children, you unpack all the freezer items and put them in the cupboard. Three hours later when your toddler is looking for a snack, she hauls out a bag of frozen corn that is leaking and mushy. Send yourself directly up to your room, you need to chill.
2. When changing your four-year old into her bathing suit, because you are running late for swim lessons, you realize she’s not wearing underwear. After a solid five minutes of questioning, “Did you take them off?” “Did you flush them down the toilet?” “Did you give them away?” She politely tells you that you never put any on this morning, and she was buckled safely into her car seat before she thought to tell you, so she just went with it. “It’s easier that way.” Let your husband take your kids to swim lessons, because you just earned a time-out.
3. When getting yourself ready for a weekend outing, your refer to yourself as “fancy” because you applied some eyeliner. Seriously, you are mess–this is sad, go think about your actions in a quiet corner of the house.
4. You overhear your six-year old playing on the porch; what’s that she’s saying over and over and over? “Jesus, Mary and Joseph.” “Jesus, Mary and Joseph, let’s get moving.” “Jesus, Mary and Joseph, where is my phone? Has anyone seen my phone?” It’s too funny not to laugh, you have to laugh so you won’t cry. You and your potty mouth have earned a time-out.
5. For the past three days you have eaten cereal at every meal. Breakfast, ok…lunch and dinner, not acceptable. Honey Nut Cheerios is not a food group. Make yourself a big bowl of that delicious pasta you spent all day making and go sit in a dark room by yourself.
6. You finally manage to make it to the gym for a 5:30AM class. As you are getting into position to start an exercise, you look back at your legs. Huh? Is that some dirt on your ankle? NOPE! It’s a patch of hair that is super long, and apparently has been neglected the past several times you were speed shaving your legs in the shower. You say a silent prayer, hoping the cute 20-something trainers didn’t notice. Get up, take a seat with the foam roller in the corner, you’re in time-out.
So, you are probably wondering how I found the time to write this post? Well you guessed it, I’m in a time-out and trying to enjoy every second.
Latest posts by vtnative (see all)
- A Letter to my Middle Daughter, who is Exactly Like her Father - May 1, 2017
- True Story…I am the Worst Ever! - April 3, 2017
- On Raising Strong Women - March 9, 2017