Your children’s first words are some of the sweetest sounds you’ll ever hear. As their language skills develop and they start to have legitimate conversations, it just gets better. Below are some of the things my girls have said recently that make me smile.
1. “You have your phone mommy?” (and after losing it for 12 hours) “You have your wallet?” – Apparently I have forgotten/misplaced these enough times that even my two-year-old thinks it’s important to ask me where they are every morning as we pull down the driveway.
2. “I gotta go potty! I gotta go potty!” – Exhilarating words from my potty training girl’s mouth, as in, YES! she is finally getting it!
3. “I go heaven, see Papa?” – As gut-wrenching as this one is, I love that my daughter is thinking about her grandfather, one of her favorites. It helps to keep his memory alive in her little brain and hopefully her heart. It will likely fade as time goes on, but I will happily support the image of him in her head- reading stories, watching TV, family holidays, and even Face-timing.
4. “More chicken please!” – Any parent of a picky eater will get this- whenever she asks for more of something (other than our standbys of pasta, fish, rice, tomatoes, or milk) I happily oblige.
5. “I running a race mommy! I run like Auntie Sarah!” – Apparently my running is not as cool, but I’ll take that positive role model any day.
6. “You no tell me that. You no tell me what to do.” – Oh yea, she said it. As much as I remind her that it’s my job to tell her what to do, it’s reassuring to know that my daughter is developing her sense of self…not to mention the verbal skills to actually tell me that instead of throwing a tantrum.
7. “That your gina mommy?” – Yes, my love, that’s my gina, same place it was when you asked me two days ago.
8. “Quinny is crying mommy, I think she needs a song” – Hearing Shay comfort her sister is sweet; hearing Shay sing her sister the ABC’s (and not hearing anymore crying) is literally music to my ears.
9. “Hi” – OK, so my almost one-year-old doesn’t have many clearly decipherable words, but “hi” is one of her favorites. She says it to us randomly throughout the day, repeats it incessantly when she sees little babies, and adds “daddy” when she sees him first thing in the morning and as he’s cleaning up the kitchen at night. It’s the best greeting I get all day.
10. “You are my sunshine” – I ask my daughter to sing this every day. The words aren’t super clear, but hearing “You never know dear, how much I wuv you. Peez don’t take, my sunshine awaaaay…” is so sweet I could almost cry. It’s always been one of my favorites, but now it definitely tops the charts.
What do your kids say that make you smile, laugh, or even step-back and say, “Did they really just say that?!”
Latest posts by Emily Perillo (see all)
- Thirty-Five Years Old and I Still Depend on my Mom for… - March 7, 2017
- Peace Out 2016 - December 15, 2016
- Remembering with Love - December 14, 2016