Superfoods. Just how super are they? It seems superfoods are everywhere! We see them on television ads, hear them being talked about on the radio, even billboard ads! But just what are they? What makes them so super anyway? Well, like most things that are “hot” and “sexy”, they can come and go, but to truly have staying power, it’s important to know thy superfoods! As a consumer, don’t believe the hype and know what you’re buying. I love the wellness industry (not because it pays my bills), but it is a wonderful, great thing! All sorts of information on how to take care of our bodies and minds and our families. We could find, however, that we are getting all sorts of information from all sorts of mediums (internet, television, magazines), and this can become overwhelming. Sorry Dr. Oz and Oprah, I do love you both, but you’re driving the Whole Foods employees a bit bonkers! “Hey, I saw on Dr. Oz, …..”, or “Oprah said…” I hear this all the time as a Health Coach as well. I love technology and that we have so much info out there, however I always try to guide people to the best choice for THEM and their families.
Here are some must have superfoods staples that you should always have in your pantry and some that you should definitely test run before you commit!
The must have supers (get these in your food arsenal today!):
- Chia seeds (lower cholesterol, you can put them on anything!). Naturally gluten free and when they get wet, they become almost gelatinous and fill you up fast! Also a great source of fiber, this one can be hyped a bit, but I personally love it because it is extremely versatile! And you barely notice it on your foods!
- Quina (not a grain, it’s a seed. YAY for gluten free), really high in protein and fiber! Great trade-off for the grains such as rice and pasta! And you can buy it in the frozen food aisle if you’re worried about cooking it!
- Kale: high in vitamin C, (10x spinach), great for bone health!!! Just eat it! Great base for smoothies!
- Everyday supers! We all have these foods in our house at some time or another. Make them staples! Avocado, sweet potatoes, eggs, potatoes (yes potatoes, they have tons of potassium and fiber the most neglected nutrients for Americans!), almonds and eggs are wonderful protein, lutein. FYI; for any root vegetable try to buy organic when you can!
The test-run supers (try them first and then you decide!):
- Goji berries (tart, very rich in antioxidants). Read the labels on any goji product, just to make sure you’re getting what you pay for!
- Acai berries (another berry, high in antixoidants). The weight loss industry LOVES these berries! That should be an automatic read flag! Again, these berries are often marketed in juice form, so read the label! You may be getting more of other stuff (read, SUGAR) than the actual benefit from the acai!
- Maqui berries (more berries, more berries). Heafty on the price tag this one boasts immune boosting flavonoids. It is a bit challenging to find, however, and once you do, your wallet will hate you.
Bottom line is this, like Flava Flav says “don’t believe the hype” (PE fans UNITE), and be a smart consumer! Read labels, do your own research and ask around! Also, bio-individuality is important here (what works for one person, may not work for you). Know your body, your health history and your GENETICS! Being healthy can be really simple, try not to complicate it! Happy shopping and be SUPER!!!
Learn, Love, Live with Coach Kenna
Here is a GREAT book to pick up! By Bonnie Taub-Dix, nutrition and diet expert:
“Read it before you eat it”
And check out her website! http://www.bonnietaubdix.com
Latest posts by Kenna Grant (see all)
- Super Foods for your Super Body that you can Super Afford! - July 19, 2016
- And when you’re in a slump…un-slumpling yourself is not easily done - May 13, 2016
- Let the Sunshine! - April 15, 2016